1. In the course of solving the equation, 3(1 + 2x) - (5 + x) = 10 + x
(with answer, x = 3)
- Expansion, Distributive Law
- Vocabulary: Like Terms, Constant, Coefficient
- Concept: Balancing equation
2. With a quadratic equation, we will move all the terms to the LHS of the equation to see if it is possible to factorise the terms.
E.g. Solve x^2 = 81
By moving the terms to the LHS of the equation and factorising them,
we get (x + 9)(x - 9) = 0
By reasoning, the equation is valid when (x + 9) or (x - 9) is zero.
Hence, rewrite as
x + 9 = 0 and x - 9 = 0
From there, we solve to get x = -9 or x = 9.
3. Study Notes for Equations is given.
- Discussion of Example 1 (p4) - selected questions
- Discussion of Class Work 2 (p5) - selected questions
- Class Work 2 (p5) - Remaining questions - to be completed as Homework (Review), as instructed in the Google Classroom [estimated duration: 10 min]
- Class Work 4 (p9) has been assigned as a Homework (Diagnostic) - attempt as instructed.
- Watch the following video clips (It's a playlist with 5 examples) [estimated duration: 30 min]
We spent about 10 minutes to discuss what factorial is about...
1! = 1
2! = 1 x 2
8! = 1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x 5 x 6 x 7 x 8
Hence, if we have 9! / 9!, we will get 1
If we have 9! / 8!, we will get 9
If we have 9! / 10!, we will get 1/100 or 0.01
Using the above, attempt the following without the use of calculator